- About Us
- Contact Us
- What's New
- Brief guide to the criminal justice system
- Victims & Witnesses
- Working for the DPP
Legal Executive (Solicitors Division)
Legal Executives work in the Solicitors Division of the Office of the DPP providing support to the solicitor services for the Director of Public Prosecutions in Dublin.
To be eligible for a Legal Executive position applicants must have:
- a minimal educational attainment of a pass or grade 'D' in at least 5 subjects (including Mathematics and Irish or English) in the Leaving Certificate or an examination of an equivalent standard
- two years' experience as a law clerk in a solicitor's office or
a diploma in legal studies from the Dublin Institute of Technology or an equivalent outcome in an NCEA accredited legal studies training course from any other institute of technology together with one years' experience as a law clerk in a solicitor's office.
Legal Executives in the Solicitors Division gain exceptional experience in the practice of Irish criminal law. Currently legal executives support the solicitor service for the DPP including:
- working with An Garda Síochána in the preparation and presentation of all indictable criminal prosecutions listed in Dublin City and County
- judicial reviews
- habeas corpus applications
- cases stated
- bail applications in the Superior Court
Opportunities exist for career progression within this stream through a number of senior legal executive positions, subject to service and other requirements as appropriate.